Friday, April 15, 2005

Cave Hunter

As you may already be aware, I love a good web game. Thus I was quite happy when I discovered a space flight game called Cave Hunter.

In a word: awesome.

Cave HunterCave Hunter is a simple game, all you have to do is make it to the other side of the cave without crashing your ship. The catch? "Not crashing your ship" is very, very hard.

You use your arrow keys to maneuver, and your shift key controls your afterburner if you're daring enough to actually go faster through the cave. Normally, I only boost at the beginning or during a long straightaway.

It is important to note that your ship can sustain minimal damage, i.e. if you scrape a cave wall or nick a nearby asteroid. However, the first time you pilot smack into a piece of space rock, you can kiss your ship goodbye. Another interesting deterrent not to take damage is that the only light source in the cave is your thrusters, and so when you take damage it gets really dark, and it's much harder to navigate.

I like to pretend I'm flying the Millennium Falcon into the second DEATH STAR, but a more appropriate Star Wars reference would probably be pod racing because, as Anakin point out in Episode I, not many humans have the reflexes necessary to survive the sport (perhaps none without force sensitivity), and Cave Hunter claims that "only a few men master this journey."

At this point, I certainly haven't mastered it. After you crash, it tells you how far you made it through the cave. So far I've only been able to make it 77% of the way through, but I assure you I will prevail in the end.

3 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger Steve said...

I am happy to report that I finally beat this suck. My final score was 3820. I wonder if you get a higher score from boosting and not running into anything.

We shall see...

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really glad you beat that suck.
Good job.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Steve said...

I hate you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home